Wednesday, October 1, 2008

McCain's great if you can afford him

For a long time I was a little torn as to where to place my vote in the Presidential election.

I consider myself a life-long Liberal (with clandestine conservative tendencies at times). My personal political philosophies tend to lie a little more in line with Liberals than with Conservatives.

But being a vet and a Vietnam vet like McCain, I do have a lot of respect for him, what he went through as a POW, and how it shaped his politics.

One big area where I keep have difficulty is, how can McCain, a guy with 11 houses and 16 cars, understand what it is like to make less than what most of this country calls middle class income? He stumbled when he tried to describe middle class, calling it people who make less than 2 million dollars a year. If that is the case, I belong in the abject poor classification.

Something that falls in line with the rich vs poor is health care. McCain’s solution is to make more and varied policies available for people to purchase. That’s great IF you can afford to purchase them. The crux of the problem is the great number of people who cannot AFFORD the insurance. Creating more policies won’t cure that problem.

Maybe this is important because I have reached an age where I see docs on a more regular basis than when I was younger.

I’ve heard all the arguments about the “terrible” Canadian system, or the problems with British health programs. But who says we can’t do better? Why do we have to model it after something that already exists and doesn’t work?

The simple answer is, we don’t.

Got little off the track here.

I do agree with Dane’s concept of voting principle over expediency, but I have to balk at Barr. He’s just a little too much off the deep end, and there seems to little substance there and a lot of rhetorical posturing.

So it looks like one of two choices: either Obama, or the old standby (you want to talk about principle over expediency)...Mickey Mouse.

It wouldn’t be the first time Mickey got a write-in from me.

4 comments:

dane said...

Actually, I think the Libertarians lost an opportunity. They should have nominated Ron Paul. Outside of his position on abortion, he is as hard-core libertarian as they come...and he is already a recognizable name and has a ground roots backing beyond the limited support of the LP.

As for Barr being "off the deep end". I recognize that Libertarians are frequently overly idealistic, but when you compare their beliefs with the founding fathers', you quickly realize how radically off the rails our nation has traveled. The Founding Fathers wouldn't even recognize this nation that the Republicans and Democrats have ransacked.

We all need to take responsibility for the mess this nation is in. We should be ashamed of ourselves for continuing to vote for more of the same and expecting different results.

Unknown said...

I've been back and forth, and all over the political map trying to find something I can hold on to, and just can't seem to find it. This whole thing is wearing me out this year. I can't wait to retire, say the hell with it all, and let someone else worry about it for a change.

Gonna hang a sign on my door, "Gone Fishing", as a permanent fixture to my house in about a year. I don't want anymore responsibility.

As for all the crap this country is dealing with, all I can say is, things are more like they are now than they ever have been.

dane said...

Budsy turned me on to this blog:

http://www.davidcarlsonpolitics.com/

Interestingly enough, my last comment was the topic of his latest post. Really good stuff.

kevinf said...

i think you have the right idea about goin fishin.

the health care thing got me thinking so i sat down and quickly compared the health care proposal of both the candidates that are posted on their websites. they aren't as different as i thought they would be.

i was hoping to see tort reform addressed and the mccain proposal does say that he would support that.

i think we can make health care more affordable if we can lift the stranglehold the lawyers and the insurance companies have on the system. to me, that is a major cause of the high cost of health care and it would not cost the taxpayers anything.

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Followers