Friday, October 3, 2008

I watched the Veep debate last night really not knowing what to expect.

I seriously didn’t believe all of the pundits who were fantasizing about Backwoods Barbie “freezing like a moose in the headlights”, or getting backed into some corner where she would be a total flop. She did quite well, and seemed quite polished in the sense that she answered most of the questions just like any other politician might - by not answering and moving quickly to another subject while she had command of the floor.

As for Sen. Joe, no surprises there either. Except that he may have been a bit more brief in his remarks than I was expecting. He has a reputation of droning an at length.

Although I did find parts of the debate interesting, as a whole it seemed boring. And as a tool to help me make a decision about who may get the pleasure of my ballot, it did nothing at all.

All in all, it seemed a waste of time, money and my attention. Especially since I will be casting a ballot for president, not the vice president.

5 comments:

Budsy Jean said...

I'm hoping that this debate will end the Palin bit. I'm so tired of looking at her. (Backwoods Barbie - I like that one.) If I hear her say what a 'maverick' she and McCain are one more time, I will scream. And, she really overdid the old "shucker, gee, gosh" routine. We get it, already.

I didn't see her make any serious mistakes, but agree that there were many times she didn't answer the question.

When the moderator asked the candidates what their 'Achilles heels' were, she blathered on and on about all of her good points, not once answering the question. I couldn't help but think, "I hope to heaven she listens better than that if she becomes VP." I think that she has a propensity to speak just to hear herself speak, and, at times, even before she thinks about what she says.

I keep reading about how she won the debate (huh?). I guess that could be considered a win in light of how low the bar was set.

Hopefully, we won't have to hear from her again.

Budsy Jean said...

Oh, as a follow up, here is an interesting tidbit. A much larger percentage of men than women who watched the debate had a favorable rating of Palin's performance. I heard this on Fox News after the debate, but I'm currently unable to locate the actual statistic.

Now, what if Pamela Anderson was nominated as VP . . . .

(Oh, how mean of me!)

dane said...

Palin's voice irritates me.

On the other hand, I've gotta' say I have always liked Senator Joe. I don't match up well with his politics--although I once did--but he seems like someone I could sit down and have a beer with.

Oh, wait, isn't that what everyone said about GW before he got elected?

I have to agree, the debate was boring and pointless. They could have both just issued statements and had the moderator read them.

Come to think of it, I wish Ron Paul had been the moderator. At least one person would have been saying something meaningful.


...and if I have to hear about "hockey moms" one more time, I am going to poke myself in the eye with a broken hockey stick...

kevinf said...

i think part of the problem was that ms ifell did a pretty poor job as moderator. my opinion. the questions she asked were not anything that they both had not expected and so they had their scripted answers and talking points to get in. she also let them both ramble on and not answer the question she asked. it was her job to keep them on task and i think she failed in that respect.

in spite of that i think we got to see from both of them what they are really like as a person. she really is a person that has been plucked from a small town and into the spotlight, her head has to be spinning. kind of like mark wahlberg in the movie "rock star"

i also thought he showed a more "common man" side that i hadn't seen from him. he probably would be fun to sit down and have a beer with.

kevinf said...

almost forgot, i thought the highlight was when she threw bush under the bus and then got in the driver's seat and hit the gas.

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Followers