Thursday, March 20, 2008

Pandora

It is not too uncommon for me to spend half of my waking hours each week in front of a computer and most of that time, I am listening to music. Even with thirty gigs packed on my iTunes, it doesn't take long to get bored with listening to the same things over and over again.

Thankfully, I can turn to Pandora.com. It is a website that allows you to build your own commercial-free radio stations. You pick the bands, it will play them and anything it's Music Genome Project deems similar.

You can create different "stations". For instance, you may want a blues station. Add Buddy Guy, Leadbelly, and B.B. King, and the station will randomly play songs by them, while adding similar selections from say, Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker and Eric Clapton.

You get bored with blues? Create a new station. I currently have six different stations, and am continually altering them to fit my mood. You can add or delete songs or groups any time you want. Want to hear that new group you heard about? Add them in. Sick of hearing Boy George? Vote him off your radio station.

Fun stuff. Check it out.

2 comments:

Budsy Jean said...

Scott Wikstrom told me about Pandora a couple of years ago. It is a nice way to mix it up, like you said. Sometimes the music that the site "deems similar" is pretty different, but it is always good to hear something different. Broaden your musical horizons.

I have a 30 gig Ipod, like yours, and it is currently about 2/3 full. It is my primary music source. I also listen to quite a bit of talk radio during the day.

I think that the Ipod (or other MP3 player) is the best invention since the PC.

I don't know if I could function without music - kind of like air and water for me.

Budsy Jean said...

I just thought of this and I haven't been to Pandora for a long time. Isn't it possible to listen to other people's playlists?

Hey, if that is true, we could design and listen to each other's music! That would be kind of sweet.

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Followers