Monday, March 17, 2008

Audible Sigh

So, I love to golf. Unfortunately, I live in Minnesota and only have about 6 months out of the year that I can golf close to home. This time of year, what began as a golf itch in December, has now become a full-fledged rash.

Overall, I’m not a great golfer. I’ve gotten a little better in the past three years since I joined a ladies golf league at Eagles Landing Golf Course, located at Fort Ripley, MN. My golf partner is darn near scratch, so she carries my sorry butt most of the time. I always ask her why she wants me as a partner. She just smiles at me. I think it is because I like to have a couple of Mich Golden Lights, just like her, and I’ve agreed not to call her “Mommy” or tug on her pants leg and ask for a juice box.

She can almost drive the greens on some of the par 4 holes from the Ladies Tees. She actually should be playing from the White Tees, and does when she plays a round with her husband, who is in the Minnesota Amateur Golf Tournament every year. (He is pretty good, too.)

Our league is not terribly competitive or cutthroat. You will get no grand reward for winning. But, you will have had a great time over the year. Our league consists of women of all ages, and, surprisingly, most are pretty good or, like me, can at least hold their own.

When not golfing in my golf league, I almost always golf with men, and learned how to golf from my husband, who is pretty good in his own right. We got our friend, LeRoy, hooked on golf two years ago. He is 50 years old, and wishes he had started playing golf much earlier. It is a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

We have our annual golf extravaganza in August, this year the second week. We golf various courses in the beautiful Brainerd Lakes Area on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday during that week. We used to golf two 18-hole courses on each day. As we have aged, we have backed down slightly, golfing 18 holes on Wednesday, 36 holes on Thursday, and, depending upon how we feel, 18 or 36 holes on Friday. We generally have enough people to fill two tee times at each course, but have an open invitation to anyone who would like to join us. Just let us know in advance so we can adjust tee times as necessary.

We always take a few days off and golf some of the beautiful northern Minnesota courses (the Giant’s Ridge courses and The Wilderness at Fortune Bay) in the fall with our friend, Pryce. This year we might golf Superior National in Lutsen, Minnesota.

Pryce also wants us to go to the Ryder Cup in Kentucky this fall. We are considering it. I’ve been to the PGA Championship when it was in Minnesota a few years ago and had a great time.

Tiger Woods just won his 5th golf tournament in a row. Simply amazing.

As I look out the window, it is snowing, and we are expected to get between 4 to 6 inches of snow today. (Audible sigh.)

No comments:

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Followers