Thursday, December 24, 2009

Music 2009 -- Part II


Obviously, some of the best music I ran into this year couldn’t fit on one simple list, but one unique tune that did make the cut was Joseph Arthur & The Lonely Astronauts’ 2007 tune Diamond Ring. It was something I found on a Paste Magazine sampler which prompted me to download the whole album.

On the other hand, some of my favorite stuff was from bands I have been listening to forever.

Echo and the Bunnymen
’s Songs to Learn and Sing was in the tape deck of my ‘74 Impala when I made the move from Minnesota to Arizona back in ‘87. They released a new album in ‘09. Included from this was Think I Need It Too and Do You Know Who I Am? (2009).

Another staple in my collection is Cracker. Funny, quirky, intelligent alt/country, this stuff has been making me laugh for almost two decades. Their latest release is represented here with Turn On Tune In Drop Out With Me and Show Me How This Thing Works (2009). The latter is a song about some strange contraption that falls from space and can apparently do just about anything:

Will it make me rich, will it get me high, Will it look good with the rest of my furniture, Will it make a soft and pleasing tone at night (oh, oh, oh), Will it heal the sick, will it feed the poor, Will it give me everything I ever dreamed of....Show me how this thing works...


On the mellower side, there is another old favorite of mine that put out a new one in ‘09. David Gray is represented on the list with Stella The Artist (2009) and one from his Greatest Hits a couple years back that I had over-looked, You’re The World To Me (2007).

In my next and final post about my 2009 music list, I will wrap things up with a rundown on my absolute favorite finds of 2009.

No comments:

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Followers