Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Dane's Music List 2009


Well, another year, another “Best of” music list. I put one together every year, but mine is decidedly different than most. My list is more representative of what I was listening to over the course of the year, rather than an exclusive list of what was “best” in 2009, so I include stuff that I missed when it originally came out. This year’s list is decidedly mellower than usual as well. I must be getting old.

The oldest selection on my list is Nuclear Love Machine (1995) by The Ugly Americans. I came across this while looking for something Cracker-ish. There is a great Southern feel here and this tune has some Allman Brothers sounding guitar licks in it.

The Ugly Americans were fronted by Bob Schneider. I include his 2009 release 40 Dogs on my list as well.

The next oldest tune on my list is John Mayer’s City Love (2001). I may have overlooked him in the past because he was a bit too mellow for me back then. Not so much anymore. I love the jazzy feel of this song and some great lyrics: “She keeps her toothbrush at my place, as if I have the extra space.”

Not to get too serious, I also included a great new one from Philadelphia’s Canadian Invasion, Standing on the Shoulders of the Carcass of John Mayer (2009).

Another older tune included is the Candyskins’ Monday Morning (2004). I knew these guys from their Wembley tune, but digging deeper, I cannot figure out how these guys didn’t get bigger than they did.

I have always been a Hothouse Flowers fan, but kind of forgot about them after the ‘90’s. I rectified that by finding a new one from this decade and included Your Love Goes On (2004) to this year’s list.

Another ‘90’s favorite, The Wonder Stuff, has also been rediscovered. I include Tricks of the Trade (2006). It is impossible to listen to this song without hearing Cheap Trick.

Another "older" tune is from Nik Kershaw, Already (2001).

The last song to make the list that didn’t have some kind of 2009 connection is the Shout Out LoudsTonight I Have To Leave It (2007). I stumbled on these Scandahoovian popsters earlier this year. They have a catchy Cure kind of sound.

Well, not to get too long-winded, I will chat about the newer stuff from my 2009 music list in my next post....

Merry Christmas everyone.

1 comment:

DC said...

Yeah I'm definitely going to have to check out these bands. I don't know most of them.

-David
noisecake

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Followers