Sunday, January 6, 2008

Thank You

A week in New York, six days at home, a week in Hawaii, three hours at home, ten days in Montana, three days at home, four days in Minnesota, and finally, I have returned home. It is nice to be here.

My mother’s passing in December was definitely the end of an era for me. Like my sister said, we are now “orphans”. I am only forty three, but I no longer have any parents or grandparents. It is a scary thought, but now I am the “older” generation.

On the other hand, I also have this incredible feeling of rebirth, probably, in part, because of the timing. I now return home to a New Year and something of a fresh start. I still feel grief, but, as I mentioned in an earlier blog, I have an even greater sense of gratefulness, appreciation for family, friends and times together. Mom’s funeral was very sad, but every other moment surrounding it was wonderful, dare I say, even fun. And things that seemed difficult before December, now seem trivial. I now look forward to what the New Year brings regardless of their consequences. I will enjoy it all, big or small, good or bad.



Finally, since I tend to be bad at proper thank yous, let me make sure I don’t overlook my appreciation for all of you. Thank you for the kind words, thoughts, prayers, emails, phone calls, cards, and flowers. My mom was a great lady. We will forever miss her.

Now, there is a whole new year out there waiting for us. Let’s get going.

2 comments:

Budsy Jean said...

What a beautiful photo of your beautiful mother! I never realized how much you resemble her. I wish I could have been at the funeral. I've found myself wanting to be in many places simultaneoulsy quite a bit the past few years. Not easy for me.

As you know, Marna and I got to spend a great afternoon with Vickie in St. Cloud, and, of course, we spent a good amount of time talking about you, your mom, and the life journey that we have each taken (so far), by choice or otherwise. Vickie made some great food. We each had a few beers and a lot of laughter; lots of sharing. It was really, really nice. I'm hoping that we do more of it.

There is nothing like being with people who have known you since you were young. No pretenses. Very safe. We have seen each other in good times and bad times, too. There is no one to impress. We know where we came from, which brings us back to earth, lest our heads get too big. Like Vickie said, we generally know each other deeper than with other friendships, making it seem as though no time has passed since our last meeting, even though it could have been years.

I think that we are somewhat of an anomaly - but a great anomaly to be a part of. Love you! Berta

Scott said...

Dane
Sorry to here about you Mom and I am also sorry I didn't reply sooner. As you know, I have known your family my entire life and have many fond memories of both of your parents and family.

I am not in Karlstad that often but whenever I drive past your old house west of the motel it really brings back memories of all the mischief we used to get into. I always wondered what your mom thought after we created our ingenious concoctions and disposed of them down the laundry shoot. Your mom also made some mean eggrolls, know wonder you are drawn to China.

I know what you mean about being part of the older generation. My nephew Kyle is a freshman at UND and my daughter Madeleine is getting here drivers license this May. I spent the holidays with my family and did notice a lot changes in my parents. We are all getting older.

My new favorite saying is
"The older I get, The better I was"

Again sorry to here about your Mom, I wish you Jimmy, Jon, Sheila and Dan the best. You do have a great family.

Talk to you soon,
Scott

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Followers