Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A Need For A Second Party

I stumbled on this almost year old Op/Ed piece from the LA Times while checking Google to see what searches showed up for The National Party Times (the first two items were this blog, btw).

As many of you know, I have much personal regret about how I have handled my personal finances over the last few years, and am very upset to see our government following in my foot steps, ie., spending money they do not have, creating debt they can not absolve.

Most people believe that this country has always had two parties, one for big government and one for smaller government, but as I frequently like to point out, we really have a one party system in this country, both Democrats and Republicans are for Big Government. The best part about this article is how it points out that our original two party system was made up of those who favored small government (Hamilton and his Federalists)and those who favored tiny government (Thomas Jefferson and his Democratic-Republican Party--something ironic in that party name, btw).

Even Hamilton would be distressed at how our current government uses debt to forever enslave future generations just to satisfy the current “needs” of every interest group imaginable.

********

On a scarier note, I was tracking down my favorite philosopher and investment guru Nassim Nicholas Taleb on You Tube and came across these comments he made about our economy a few months ago.

I did a post about Taleb’s book The Black Swan over a year ago. This book, in many ways, changed the way I view the world...

No comments:

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Followers