Thursday, October 11, 2007

The Black Swan

This may be a little deeper than I should get for just a second post, but since it’s on my mind, I figure I better roll with it. I will chat about more intellectual stuff like the Diamondbacks, The Hold Steady, and the virtues of ales over pilsners later. For today, I would rather discuss the meaning of everything.

We tend to rationalize everything. Everything must have meaning. That is just the way our brains work.

After catching an interview of Nassim Nicholas Taleb on CSPAN last week, I decided to pick up his latest book The Black Swan. I am generally not all that smart. In fact, I have a box full of old report cards to prove it. But something about the interview struck my intellectual funny bone, so I headed out to the bookstore. I quickly realized this book had way too many pages and an intimidating amount of big words, so I made a bee line for the audio book section. This Black Swan thing is over my head, but I was fascinated enough to buy it, none-the-less.

In The Black Swan and Taleb’s earlier book, Fooled By Randomness, he asserts that most of what we believe is wrong, or more precisely, what our beliefs are premised on are often incorrect. This is because we are wired to assign rational causes to the world around us, when really, the causes are more random than our minds can handle. When I first heard him talk about this concept, I thought about the traders on Wall Street. They use technical analysis--the reading of historical performance charts--to explain which direction a stock is headed. They discover patterns and assign meaning to them, but this is all done after the fact. The charts really mean nothing, the traders just assign meaning as a way of rationalizing why the stock has arrived to it’s price. Worse yet, then they try to use these chart patterns to explain what is happening with other stocks!

I remember Mr. Gust teaching this cause and effect concept in my high school English class, explaining how the Romans and Greeks used gods to explain the world around them. In other words, events happen in the world, then these things must be explained. So if the Romans kicked some butt on the battlefield, it was because their god Jupiter was in a good mood that day. This was essentially their “science”, their way of explaining the world. We do the same thing today, arrogantly believing that because we have “real” science to explain things, we understand the world better than the Romans. I would guess Taleb would say we probably miss the point. We, like the Romans, rationalize meaning into things that have little or no correlation to the event we may be trying to explain.

Taleb uses some headlines to illustrate this: “Bond Prices Up On Saddam’s Capture”. Four hours later another one exclaims “Bond Prices Down On Saddam’s Capture.” In reality, the two events had nothing to do with each other, but we needed meaning so we connect them.

I just started this audio book, so if its good, I may elaborate more on it later. But in the next post, I promise to write about something more relevant, like Lindsay versus Paris or something...

If you have an hour to kill, here is where you can find Taleb’s CSPAN interview:

http://download.rbn.com/cspan/cspan/download/podaudio/arc_btv092207_4.mp3


BTW- I am pretty sure the Diamondbacks will win the Series this year. After all, I have my lucky underwear on...

9 comments:

Marna said...

This sounds very interesting. Kind of like science vs. creation? I can't get the link to work. Is it just a download or is there an actual website?

Thanks for sharing. I'm always interested in hearing about new books and information! Keep cheering for those Dbacks!

dane said...

Try google: CSPAN Taleb

That should take you right to it.

The book really has little to do with science vs. creation (my mythology example may have been misleading), but Taleb gives some interesting thoughts on religion in the interview. He feels his arguments lean him toward a belief in God.

Unknown said...

This was an interesting commentary. Intellectual, witty and all that. But it begs the question: What the hell are you talking about?

DJ said...

Oh Bubba...you really need to read more philosphy and psychology to keep up with Dane Howard. What you do is PRETEND you know what he is talking about and then throw some Ayn Rand or Robert M. Pirsig's metaphysics of quality in "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" philosophies to confuse him.

love,
Sis

Ekwon said...

We all know Dane is a babbling idiot and so I assume Bubba's question was rhetorical, but here is The Black Swan simplified:

You spend your entire life surrounded by white swans, so you come to believe ALL swans are white. Then one day we happen upon a black swan (or the internet, or a 9-11 type event) and our belief system is shattered.

We tend to believe what we KNOW to be true from our own experience, not realizing how limited we are by that.

A turkey believes it is "normal" to be fed by a human everyday. Then one day the human shows up with a butcher's knife. That is a "black swan" day for the turkey. His reality was blinded by his limited experience...

DJ said...

AHA! Now I think I want to read the book. It took me a long time to understand that our realities are based upon how we think and react to events in our lives, and that we can change our lives if we change our thinking. However, our thinking can only be changed by education, which means once we graduate from formal school we have to really pay attention to the world around us, and most of us get so caught up in our own little world that we forget to do that. oooooohhhhh don't get me going...I will never quit jabberin'....I guess I'd better just go buy the book.

Luv,
Sis

dane said...

Whether we realize it or not, after our formal education is done, we all continue our "education". Some of us get it unconsciously from prime-time television, some of us consciously pursue it by reading books (me--not being so bright--opt for the audiobooks).

Being aware of how little we actually know allows us to be open to perceptions that would otherwise pass us by.

I am re-reading "The Four Agreements", which to paraphrase, states "95% of everything we believe is wrong." If you buy into that notion, you become skeptical (in a good way) and open to discovering other possibilities.

Budsy Jean said...

As long as a person isn't so preoccupied in seeing how 'wrong' something is that we cannot see when it is 'right'.

dane said...

I am not talking about right and wrong. Although I do believe our fear of overstepping the bounds of society’s definition of what is “right” limits our ability to be open-minded. For centuries people refused to believe the world was round, not for scientific reasons, but because that went against what the Church said you should believe. The Black Swan author, by-the-way, comes from a Christian Greek Orthodox background and claims his musings are an argument FOR the existence of a God.

The point I was trying to make was more about what we DON'T know. Our world view is skewed because we put too much importance on what we do know and place too little importance on what we do NOT know. We don’t see the “black swans” coming (to use Ekwon’s examples: 9-11 and the internet), and when they do happen we try to create rational explanations after the fact to make them comfortably fit what we already know.

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Followers