Monday, October 8, 2007

Getting Started

I am going to make this quick. I have really wanted to find an easy way to communicate with friends, share ideas, and get feedback on what is going on in the world. So today, I am officially starting my blog.

I originally was going to steal the title for my blog from my dad's old weekly newspaper column, Through The Window. Since my writing skills will never live up to his, I thought it might be better to resurrect it from an old newsletter I used to send to friends twenty years ago. After all, I am national and I love parties. It seems pretty logical.

I have to admit, since I haven't had much contact with many of you lately, the next few blogs will be a bit disjointed. As the weeks go by I will be chatting about things going on in my life. Then, over time, I see this turning into more of a social commentary site. I may chat about baseball, music, technology, politics, religion, food or anything else that may be on my mind that day.

Feel free to hit the "comment" section below each blog to add to the conversation. Let me know if I am interesting, boring, or just plain wrong. I am tough. I can take it.

I will try to post at least once a week, so bookmark me and stay tuned for more.

8 comments:

Marna said...

Welcome back National Party Times! I've been missing you! I need some music ideas, Dane. I have an iPod now and once I finally finish downloading my CDs, I'm going to need something else to fill up the 30GB. So, I'll be excited about commentary on that.

And, any time you need comments about religious fanatics, I'm there for you. Want to hear a good one right now? We are trying pass a referendum in our school district because if we don't we will increase our class size dramatically, lose elementary school art programs, middle school activities and possibly have to close a school. There is a man who makes it his mission in life to successfully defeat referendums. No, he's not from our district -- he's from Iowa. He thinks he's doing it for all the right reasons and that public education should be banned. Kids should be educated with their own "kind," specifically religion. He thinks he's being "Christ-like." I say he's being exactly the opposite!

Enough of my soapbox today! I'll be back!!!!

Kip said...

Good to hear from you. I don't talk all that often any more to the Karlstad gang. Seems like once we old enough to drive my dad's nova done to Grand Forks (man, remember those trips, I have pictures of you drunk and throwing up after they finally opened that Hardee's), I was already leaving. Didn't get to fair after getting Mary pregnant, so next time up, get ahold of me as I am living just over in Grygla, where I am a lineman for the county.

dane said...

"I am living just over in Grygla"

Ignore him. He almost never leaves Phoenix (unless he is going to Mexico). Besides, he has never been farther north than Fargo in his life.

He must have picked up Grygla off a map, 'cause the only people I ever met from there was in Bible Camp thirty years ago...

Budsy Jean said...

Hey, I think this is a great idea. I really look forward to it. It will be fun to see how people respond to your various and varied topics of discussion. It will be interesting to see how our perspectives have changed throughout the years.

Marna, in my opinion, that gentleman from Iowa is really no different than any person who espouses a radical viewpoint, such as people who bomb abortion clinics, bomb federal buildings, release rats from research clinics, live in trees to save them, behead innocent people, or, in this instance, try to rid society of the secular ‘evil’ that is the public school. Radicals feel compelled to impose their view of life on society, no matter the consequences. I think that, when stripped bare, fundamentalist radicalism has little to do with God or Jesus, and more to do with control and power.

All the while, we in the middle remain in the middle – uncomfortable in the radical skin that we sometimes need to don in order to keep what remains of our ever encroached upon middle. Fight the good fight! It is worth it!

Carolyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carolyn said...

I can't wait to read Fifty/Sixty Soberowski, he was the one that made me moist...................
signed: Soberowski Groupie

dane said...

I think he is touring with Nazareth right now.

Scott said...

Love the "National Party Times", it's almost as good as my all time favorite Politcal analysts from "The Disaster Digest". Those guys were a couple of genious.

Heuy bud, today is the first day in awhile were I've had some sluff off time in the office, so I had to make a short reply to you. I figured I'd start from the beginning of your blog and read my way up. Good Idea!!!

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Followers