Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Cancer

I know I have disappeared, but it has been a rough week or so.

Hawaii was beautiful, but the cruise wasn’t too great. I couldn’t recommend Norwegian Cruise Lines. I also get a little bored with locations where everyone speaks English. Not exotic enough, I guess. But all in all, the trip was okay. The real spoiler was when I received news that my mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer half way through the week. Therefore, I spent a good portion of my time on the boat feeling trapped and wishing I was somewhere else.

My mom’s situation was not a complete surprise, but that doesn’t make dealing with hospice care and funeral arrangements any easier. She is not expected to be with us too long, but she is still putting up a fight. I will probably stick around the rest of the week here in Montana. It is going to be hard to leave, though, since it will probably be my last good-bye.

It is a sad time, especially since it is the Holidays, but there are always things to be grateful for. I am rediscovering a stronger connection with my family. Also, it is pretty hard to go through something like this without re-evaluating one’s priorities in life. Never a bad thing.

While at the hospital yesterday, a complete stranger walked up to me and asked if she could give me a hug. She said I looked like I needed it. It was pretty cool. I guess making the world a better place doesn't always require a lot of effort, just a little insightfulness.

Hope your Holidays go well. Please help make them great for someone else,too, even if they may just be a stranger needing a hug.

1 comment:

Marna said...

Dane, I am so sorry about your mom! I'm sending virtual hugs your way. I love your story about the stranger coming up to give you a hug. Sometimes it's all we need and it's nice when we don't have to ask for it, it's just there. Take care and we'll talk soon!

Love ya and miss ya!

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Followers