Tuesday, May 6, 2008

What the Heck is a Duck Fart?

So, I’m not much for reality television. Most reality television appears to be as far away from reality as I sometimes feel I am from civilization. You won’t find me watching Survivor, American Idol, Big Brother, or Who’s Wants to Marry My Dad (can you even believe it?).

Then, four years ago, a show appeared on the Discovery Channel that I’m somewhat mad about – Deadliest Catch. I’m sure that most bloggers have heard about it, if not watched an episode. It is based on the annual crabbing season up in the Bering Strait of Alaska.

Anyway, at the beginning of the current season, it showed all of the participating boat captains toasting each other for luck with a shot called the “Duck Fart”. Any drink named for a sound that everyone laughs at piqued my interest.

I did some on-line research and found that the shot is actually made by layering in a glass (in this order) ¾ oz. Kahlua, ¾ oz. Bailey’s Irish Cream, and ¾ oz. Crown Royal. When I drink hard liquor, I prefer whisky, and, the whisky that I prefer is Crown Royal. So, when I read that there was Crown Royal in the drink, my interest was piqued even more.

When I was in Vegas, our group ended up drinking a few Duck Farts (son of a . . . ), and the consensus of the group was that they really are pretty good. Although, the bartender shook the ingredients instead of layering them, I guess they would get shaken up in our stomachs, right?

Duck Farts originated in Alaska approximately 20 years ago, born from experimentation at the Peanut Farm, a bar in Anchorage, Alaska, and is pretty popular at the Red Dog Saloon in Juneau (Is this the same Red Dog Saloon referenced by Johnny Horton in North to Alaska?). Apparently, this shot is synonymous with Alaska. Here is a really good on-line article about the drink, if anyone is interested.

http://dwb.adn.com/news/alaska/story/7321378p-7233339c.html

I do advise trying one, if so motivated. Jeff doesn’t like whisky, but said that the Duck Fart tasted great. However, don’t let the great taste fool you into drinking too many of them. You could find yourself with your butt sticking up in the air with your head in the water, if you know what I mean!

3 comments:

Marna said...

I've heard they're good, but do they measure up to the infamous Cement Mixer????

AK Michele RN said...

Better...

AK Michele RN said...

Better...

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Followers