Thursday, May 8, 2008

Moments

I haven't written for awhile. I have alot of things I have been thinking about writing, just don't seem to get around to it. I actually wrote this post last Saturday, but decided it was too self-centered and sentimental to post. Then I got an email from my friend Bert saying that she was filling out a Mother's Day card and was thinking about our friend Joan and me. We both have lost our mothers:

The great thing about blogging is that you don’t have to consider your audience when writing. You can occasionally write about universally interesting subjects like politics, racism, books and the like. On the other hand, blogging also has a very personal, almost diary-like characteristic to it.

So today, I feel a bit more introspective and self indulgent. Please bare with me.

Several months ago, I spent ten days in Montana with my mother during her final days. I received a phone call from my friend Joan. As time has gone by, we haven’t stayed in real close contact, but she has always had this thing about being there when I needed her, so I wasn’t at all surprised to hear her voice on the other end.

Joan told me about the time she spent with her mother during her final days. She explained how her family had spent that time waiting, crying, laughing, playing games, etc. She explained the importance of these “moments”. We spend the majority of our lives dealing with things that are pretty much trivial, while all but ignoring these small moments together that really matter.

I got it, but I didn’t really understand at the time just how profound of an impact that conversation would have on me.

It wasn’t the first time Joan had presented this lesson to me, though. When I was all of twenty years old, I broke up with a girl. Now ending a relationship is never easy, and although I was just a kid, this one was particularly tough.

At the time, Joan had just started dating a guy and was very interested in him. When she heard about my situation, she came over, called her new boyfriend and told him she needed to break their date that night. She made me Swedish meatballs. I remember the recipe called for a certain amount of black pepper, but she misread the teaspoon measurement and used a tablespoon instead. They were very spicy meatballs. It is funny how you can remember moments like that, but in the end, they are the moments that really matter.

I used to spend a lot of time on things like following the stock market, being concerned about my net worth, or trying to figure out what nice car I would be driving next. They are all still things I keep an eye on, but since that conversation with Joan several months ago, I am so much more aware of moments. The careers we have, the things we own, and the people we spend way too much time trying to impress are all just filler, things to keep us occupied while we wait for more of these real moments to present themselves.

My mother once told me that the thing that really makes me different is the incredible group of friends that I have been fortunate to have. They are a special group. In many ways, they define who I am. Thanks Joan. I am so incredibly grateful you are one of them. (...and you, too, Berta.)

..and I promise not to be too sappy again for awhile. Maybe I will do my next post on the cover story of the Enquirer I saw while in the check out line at the grocery store. According to them, apparently Hillary is having a secret lesbian affair...

4 comments:

Budsy Jean said...

Thanks for making me cry in my coffee!

There are so many times that I wish I had Marna's incredible ability to recall memories. I seem to remember so little. I always wish I could go back in time, not necessarily to relive them, but mostly to remember them better now; to remember how happily ignorant I was and how good it felt to live in Karlstad at that time.

Funny how things come around. I really wanted to "grow up" and leave. Now, I wish I hadn't been so focused on that goal, and wish I had felt more, abosorbed more, and remembered more. Once time has passed, we don't get it back.

Marna said...

This was an incredibly powerful post, Dane! I know we'll always be here for each other -- each in our own way. And that we will always appreciate our time together. I think we're doing that more and more, as I know we are all making time to get together rather than just talking about it! I don't think there are many others things that I look more forward to!

And, even if Roberta thinks I remember a lot of things, I also feel like I've forgotten a lot, too. But, here's a bit of advice. Don't ever regret your decision to do one thing or the other -- whether it's leaving your hometown when you did or go to the college you did. Just remember, that every decision you make brings you to the point you're at now and most of us wouldn't change that for the world. Heck -- if we would've stayed in Karlstad longer, we probably would've all ended up hating each other and we wouldn't have this special bond we do now!!! Love you guys!

dane said...

"all roads lead to where you are" -U2

I am not all that nostalgic, just sentimental. For me, times ahead seem more important than past times. The past times are just what got us here.

I like Marna's points: we are doing more and more (now), and that we would probably all hate each other if we hadn't left...

Funny how having taken such different roads in life has probably kept us all better connected in some ways....

Budsy Jean said...

Truly, I don't regret anything that I did or decided to do, and I didn't mean to infer that in my writing. I've never lived with regret. Being somewhat of a risk taker, I can't live with regrets.

I simply wished that I had slowed down a bit when I was younger. Stopped more often to smell the roses, so to speak. Firming some of the memories in my mind for me to reflect on now, both with my family and my friends.

I could have never achieved the goals that I wanted had I stayed in Karlstad. However, I think that being somewhat obsessed with those goals deterred me from really appreciating what was going on around me.

I can't get that back, but now I do take much more time to sit back and observe, contimplate, and absorb my family, friends, and, really, just life in general. It really has helped to move from the Cities and transition to a much slower lifestyle. I focus on things now that I never focused on before.

I'm actually at a point where I could move back to Karlstad and be happy because I've learned that my happiness comes from in me, not my job, not my house, not my car, not my clothes, not my friends, but me. I would be happy wherever I lived and whatever I lived in.

I'm thankful for that. This is most certainly true.

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Followers