Thursday, June 24, 2010

Monsters of Folk


A week or two ago, I asked a friend when I could expect to see another My Morning Jacket album. She said it will be awhile since the lead singer Jim James is busy with his other project, Monsters of Folk.

After giving their album a listen, Wow!, what a project it is. Although there is “folk” in their name, iTunes classifies it as “country” and allmusic.com claims it is “squarely in the “classic rock” camp.” In other words, there is some cross-over likability here.

I will have a tough time picking just one song of this solid album for my year-end favorites mix come December .“Whole Lotta Losin” comes on like a Traveling Wilburys mover. “Sandman, The Brakeman And Me” is a bit slower, but down-right perfect. With the production and James on lead vocals, “Losin Yo Head” has a MMJ feel to it -- just what I have been missing. “The Right Place” has the country-twinge of 70’s rock. And “His Master’s Voice” reminds me why I was so captivated by the power of simplicity captured on The Cowboy Junkies’ breakthrough album The Trinity Sessions so many years ago.

Most of the stuff I like and listen to does not have the wide appeal this does. In other words, get it. You won’t be disappointed.



No comments:

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Followers