Saturday, April 25, 2009

Food That May Kill You


The other day, while reading the ingredients to the lunch I was heating up, I began to ponder the wisdom of consuming it. I almost always feel better when I limit my eating to something containing only three or four all-natural ingredients. I try to stay away from packaged and canned foods. You never know exactly what you may be dumping into your body.

This lunch was a great example why. Here are the ingredients (with nothing added, edited, or left out):

enriched wheat flour (wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), vegetable oil (contains one or more of the following: canola, cottonseed, palm) preserved by TBHG, salt, soy sauce (water, wheat, soybeans, salt) potassium carbonate, sodium (mono. hexameta, and/or tripoly) phosphate, sodium carbonate, turmeric...salt, monosodium glutamate, sugar, maltodextrin, hydrolyzed corn, wheat and soy protein, dehydrated vegetables (garlic, onion, chive), spices, natural flavor, turmeric, powdered cooked chicken, cabbage extract, disodium inosinate, disodium guanylate, lactose. Contains wheat, soy and milk ingredients. Manufactured in a facility that also processes shellfish and fish products.

Can anybody tell me what disodium guanylate is? Or even what these crazy ingredients are suppose to resemble when all mixed together and cooked up?

Anyway, after much self-deliberation, I was hungry, so I ate it. Honestly, I am not sure if my internal organs are rapidly dissolving or are now preserved to out-live the rest of my body for centuries to come.

2 comments:

dane said...

BTW- Those ingredients make up a twenty cent package of ramen noodles...

Marna said...

I think at least half of those words we don't know the meaning of stand for some kind of sodium.... salt, salt, salt.... what would ramen noodles be without it!!! ?????

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Followers