Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Here's to Kevin!

Someone recently passed away that I used to know quite well – Kevin Nelson. He died in his home in Brooklyn Park, Minnesota on November 25, 2008.

I met Kevin because he used to attend summer Vacation Bible School classes at Bethesda Lutheran Church in Strandquist, Minnesota (the church I attended) when I was young. Kevin attended the St. Edward’s Catholic Church, also in Strandquist, and he loved to attend our VBS classes. Kevin was born in 1964, as I was, and was a heavier set kid. He was always happy and had a great sense of humor. He was extremely artistic. Kevin was blessed with a beautiful voice and was a very talented guitar player. He would sing at our church quite often. His relationship with the Lord was very important to him, and that continued throughout his life.

Tragically, Kevin suffered a spinal cord injury from a diving accident in 1978. I remember it very clearly because I was at summer Bible camp with my cousin, Carolyn. He was swimming and diving into the State ditch outside of Strandquist, as was common at that time. It was just a little too shallow, and he broke his neck and became paralyzed from the neck down for the rest of his life. I know the guys who were swimming with him that day and they did what they could to get him to safety. That day left a lasting scar on those who were with him and considered him a friend.

I was very shocked to hear the news when I returned from camp.

He lived as independent a life as one can in his condition, and he always lived his life as fully as possible. I remember Leslie Kuhlman driving Kevin’s special van to Meadowbrook Ballroom by Middle River, full of kids, and Kevin dancing the night away in his chair. It was a lot of fun!

I remember the article in the Karlstad newspaper accompanying the photo of Kevin skydiving on the 20th anniversary of his tragic accident. In his short 44 years on this earth, he likely lived a fuller life than many of us. He never let his disability become one.

So, here’s to you, Kevin! Although, as often happens, time and distance separates people, I’ll never forget you and am thankful that I knew you. Your life was an example to all who knew you!

1 comment:

Marna said...

I remember attending many parties at Kevin's house during high school. He was always glad to have everyone around and just wanted to be treated as one of the gang. He won talent competitions at the State Fair and even though it was harder to sing after the accident, he didn't let it stop him! Next time we see each other,let's have a toast to Kevin!

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Followers