Thursday, November 1, 2007

General Thoughts

I have a lot of stuff I have been thinking about lately, but little time to write. So rather than wait until I can do the ideas justice, I will just jot them down before I forget them:

Saw Into The Wild a couple of weeks ago. I thought it stayed fairly true to the book. Then again, I read it ten years ago and have a crappy memory. I could be wrong. I did really like it’s underlying themes, though: the importance of forgiveness and Tolstoy’s definition of happiness. When we don’t forgive someone, we only hurt ourself. And true happiness can only be achieved in the presence of others (family/friends). If you haven’t seen it, it is a bit long, but worth the price of admission. (And yes, Randy, just like the movie Gandhi, he dies in the end. I hope I didn't spoil it for you.)

We also saw Dan in Real Life. I am a huge Office fan, so it was hard not to like something with Steve Carroll in it. It is more “situational funny” than “ha-ha funny”, though.

My friend Steph has me listening to the new Bruce Springsteen album, Magic. I am not a huge Boss fan, but I think this may be my favorite of his.

Speaking of music, I am going to see The Hold Steady for the second time this year with my friend Kip next week. Last time, he scored us backstage passes. We got a chance to chat with lead singer Craig Finn about Twins baseball and Paul Westerberg. The band is stationed out of New York now, but two of the guys are originally from Minnesota and refer to it frequently in their lyrics.

Stuck Between Stations video

After a bit of a drought, I have finally made new contact with my old friends Vincent (Chinese with an American nickname), Ming (American with a Chinese nickname) and Joan (American with no nickname), and I hope to stay in better touch with them from here on out. I have also been trying to get Brad to start writing another movie script. He said that if I write something, he will consider it. I started this blog, in part, to fulfill that commitment.

And I see Scott has finally made comments to some of my posts, so I expect this blog will get a bit more interesting. Feel free to chime in whenever. It’s kind of fun hearing from everyone. I know some of you don’t know who the heck some of these other people are, but even foreigners from Grygla are welcome here.

And, finally, for those of you who may have missed the Halloween e-mail that was floating around yesterday, here is a shot that was circulating. I figured it was post worthy. Looks like Randy was enjoying his costume more than Logan. (It’s also obvious that son gets his good looks from his mother’s side.)

3 comments:

Marna said...

I read Into the Wild last year and loved it! I would like to see the movie, but it's not in widespread circulation here yet. I'll have to check and see if that's changed. Otherwise, I have no reviews to add. Last movie I saw in the theatre was Hairspray. Loved it! Listen to the soundtrack all the time!

Finally got myself an iPod, however, it takes so darn long to get CDs ripped to the computer, that I don't have much variety yet.

Our new car (Scion XD) has an iPod plug in so I can play it through the radio. It's cool!

Always fun to read the latest, Dane. I like getting the e-mails and you are not harassing me! Hilarious photos of Logan and Randy! Glad you put them up here!

Randy said...

Logan may look like Lori but he's bulked up like the old man, come on everybody know Gandi dies in the end.

Unknown said...

i read Into the Wild a while back as well. thought the guy had some mental problems. i think he had some things in common with timothy treadwell, the guy that got eaten by a bear a couple of years ago. they both renamed themselves and seemed to have kind of a death wish, putting themselves into positions that the were woefully ill prepared to handle. the tragic result in both cases being death and in treadwell's case the death of his girlfriend as well. i think we all to some degree reinvent ourselves during our lifetime but not nearly to the extent that these guys did. if i remember correctly alex supertramp even refers to himself in the third person in his writings.

i stumbled across a pretty good book a couple of years ago that kind of dealt with the same themes. The Final Frontiersman, by james campbell is about a guy from the midwest who goes to alaska in the 70's and does indeed end up living off the land and still does.

we went to a book signing in laramie but showed up on the wrong night and missed the intended author and met mr campbell instead. it's a pretty good read.

that's my $.02 worth on that. other than that our youngest turned two on monday. he is starting to talk a bit, when he is getting his diaper changed he points to his testicles and says "berries", making dad proud and horrifying his mother.

i am noticing a definite difference in how boys and girls develop. the girls were both talking up a storm by this age and taia was pretty much using complete sentences. remy has a pretty good vocabulary but rarely puts two word together. he can, however put some of his own clothes on and open doors, something the girls didn't do till much later. he's also pretty aggressive, especially when he wants something. i think he is going to be a football player.

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Followers