Sunday, July 13, 2008

Teach A Man To Fish

When I log on to the net, I have a pretty set routine. There are a half dozen or so sites I routinely check out. One of them is Kiva.org.


Kiva specializes in micro-lending, a new trend in helping others in third-world countries. For twenty-five bucks, you can become a venture capitalist, lending money to people starting businesses all over the world. Among other things, I have helped finance a bar in Ghana, Africa, a taro farm in Samoa in the South Pacific, and a coffee shop in Bulgaria. The cool thing is that when they pay me back (interest free), I can pull my money out or reinvest in another business.

My portfolio now contains 19 businesses and I usually add another about once a month. Fun stuff. Check it out when you get a chance.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You've probably already heard this but as the adage goes:

Give a man a fish and he'll eat a good meal.

Teach a man to fish and he'll sit in the boat and drink beer all day.

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Followers